Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Best parts of the day...

I love the morning and evening routines. 

In the morning, Emma and I are up with the chickens to get her to early morning practice (now year round).  If the alarm doesn't get me up, Charlie does....follows me downstairs to say good morning to George.  George used to jump up and down until he was fed breakfast.  Now he usually just meanders into another room for a different view.  Make the coffee, throw a water bottle and new towel in Emma's swim bad and hop in the car for the 8 minute ride to school...we're always the first ones there so we always have an extra 10 minutes or more to "talk."  Most mornings she just answers my questions, but many mornings she really talks...about classes, friends, how tired she is, what she's happy about and  of course, swim team drama.  That's why I'm not anxious for her to get her license in October.  Then back home to get Peter going.  Chris and George head out on their walk.  Peter and I hang out in the kitchen and talk while he eats breakfast....school, baseball and now, girls! 

Then the day begins....school, the morning "pick up" of ipods, chargers, wrappers, water bottles, newspaper, then on to meetings, phone calls, laundry, cleaning, walkng George, errands, lunch with girlfriends (on a good day like today!), fundraisers, writing, groceries, Mallat's, baseball games, swim practice, swim meets, more meetings then...

On a night without a game or meet, all home by 6 and sitting around the dinner table....that is the best part of the day.  All four of us talking.  Then onto homework, reading, cleaning up, walking George again and then quiet.  Often after I get into bed (always before night owl Chris), Peter and/or Emma climb in for some more talkng...I love that.  I guess the best parts are when we're all home together - no matter how brief!  I think it's the universal story of a family.

Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment