Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

TJ faves...

$3.69 for a pumpkin?  One of the many deals there!  I agree on the orange chicken (in the freezer section) and all of the dips!  YUM.  Let me take you on my typical shopping trip to Trader Joe's....

Walk in, grab a cart and immediately check out the great flower buys...I always have fresh flowers in the house and their selection is awesome.  Best buy are the $1.49 daffodils in the spring!  Then I pick up a couple of pretzel loaves for snacks (kids love them warmed up and served with mustard), and head toward produce.  I always grab a bag of the romaine, organic lettuce - 3 to a bag, the baby carrots and the persian cucumbers.  The raspberries and pomegranate seeds are usually in my cart as well. 

Onto the "deli" section...we're addicted to the three layer hummus and the bleu cheese pecan dip (both for dipping and on sandwiches, burgers).  Some of the pre made salads are good too....sushi not so good.  I always grab the chicken sausages...flavored with basil, tomatoes, etc...yum.  Swing  by the meat section...I don't tend to buy my fresh meat there (seems more expensive), but in produce, I always buy avocados, fingerling potatoes and mixed tomatoes. 

Then into the freezer section....penne pasta with red sauce, brown rice, chicken potstickers, orange chicken (I aways add sesame seeds!), barbecue chicken (right next to the orange chicken), chipotle chicken skewers, naan and tilapia are all "go to" items.

Down the staples aisle...grab the cappellini (very thin) pasta, olive oil (great price), sea salt, dipping sauces, etc....

In dairy, I've been buying the eggs and milk.  In the wonderful cheese section, I always buy their sliced and shredded cheeses...as well as Laughing Cow (at least $1 cheaper at TJ's than anywhere else) and the brie log!  A new item, the goat cheese medallions, are awesome...perfect warmed up and added to a salad.

Then down the snack aisle, where we love the white cheddar popcorn, the veggie chips, the baked green bean snacks, the almonds, the fruit leathers (especially the bits and pieces!).

The new "ready to eat meal" section is awesome....for busy nights, a quick warm up of barbecue pulled chicken or pork is perfect on a bun! 

Almost forgot...chocolate lava cakes in the frozen dessert section...amazing.  Pop in the microwave for a min....as good or better than in a schwanky restaurant!

Can't imagine life without Trader Joe's  AND they have the nicest people working and shopping there!  Huge contrast to the snobbery at Whole Foods....!  Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment