Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

treasure hunting!

TJMaxx....I couldn't agree more...can go in with $20 and come out with something fun!  On my last excursion to the Maxx, I headed directly to the clearance aisle of housewares and found two chambray, downfillled Ralph Lauren accent pillows for $12 each....they look awesome on Peter's bed!  I always find $1.99 RL sale washcloths and usually walk out with a few picture frames as well.  I've also built up a nice supply of Le Creuset bakeware and cookware from the clearance aisle.  It usually doesn't work to go in with a particular item in mind...it's best to head in with an open mind and check out the clearance stuff first.  Another good buy there is socks...athletic to Hue.

My FAVORITE treasure hunting is at antique stores...my heart starts racing as I head in the door because you never know what you're going to find!!!  Last week when I was in La Crosse for a meeting, I stopped by a great find in Sparta...just off the interstate...Sparta's New and Used (my friend Kelly sells some of her antiques there).  "New" means junk, but "Used" translated into some great antique deals!  Same strategy as TJ Maxx...look for the stalls with "40% off everything" and keep an open mind.  Because times are tough and people aren't spending on antiques, there's a lot great deals.  I spent $33 and walked out with three glass cakeplates...one was green depression glass....marked down 50% off then another 40%....it was literally a steal!  I also got an 1950's Heileman Old Style bar tray (fun for summer on the porch!), two vintage kitchen towels and a 1 pint milk bottle.  All for $33!!!   The glass cake plates and the milk bottles are perfect for gifts...bake a cake and put it on the gorgeous plate...a wonderful/thoughtful gift!  Milk bottles and Ball Mason jars are perfect vases for garden flowers in the summer.

The BEST antiquing is in Viroqua and Westby....I love that part of WI...gorgeous scenery and the nicest people.  Kelly introduced me to a HUGE antique find at an old tobacco factory in Viroqua.  No heat so it's only open April - Oct.....it's amazing!!!!!  It's full of endless finds....the last time I was there I bought a 1927, handblown cakeplate on a stand...it's kind of slanted because it's hand blown...I LOVE it.  It was marked down to $15.  I love painted tin trays too...found a gorgeous one there with lemons on it.

Could go on forever...we need to go on an antique excursion this summer when we're in La Crosse...I'll take you to my favorite places along Hwy. 14....so beautiful and so much fun! 

Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment