Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

September 11, 2001

  I was on the phone with Dad when we saw this happen live on t.v...we had been "kibitzing" on the phone and discussing how a plane could have flown into the WTC on such a clear day...everyone's world changed the moment this second plane hit.  I remember Dad saying "we're being attacked."  It was impossible to tear away from the television or the phone (for weeks/months, actually).  I was grateful that Dad was a retired Captain...and that we weren't wondering where he was in the air, but we were worried about pilot friends and my brother in law, Mark who was in Congress and in the Capitol that morning.

Looking back, immediately I think my thoughts were of Chris and the kids and family...was everyone going to be safe?  Peter had just started kindergarten and Emma was in 2nd grade...I couldn't wait to pick them up.  At some point in the morning, my friend, Kate, came over because we both just needed to be with someone.  It was like being in a dream.

When I picked up Peter at noon, the first person I saw was Anne Phelan (whose son, Michael, would soon become Peter's best friend to this day)...she was nervous because so much of her family is on the East coast and many working in NYC.  Driving was surreal...people were driving slowly and were not in a hurry.  Almost immediately, American flags started appearing...we always have ours displayed on our house, but I remember seeing them everywhere.

Peter was so little, but he knew something was up and he was scared.  For many months, he was worried that Osama Bin Laden would break into our house.  He told us he would "shoot him with his pee pee gun!"  I think the terrorist attacks on 9.11 greatly shaped Peter...he is very patriotic, very American and very loyal to his country.  I think his passion for the military is mainly due to the climate he has grown up in...we've been at war and our country has forever changed.

At some point on 9.11, our church (right across the street), St. Maria Goretti, became a place to gather.  I witnessed people walking into church all afternoon...many dressed in red, white and/or blue.  I think I took pictures or video of this, and I must find that.  I remember calling Chris to tell him what I was seeing on our street...it was incredible and also so sad.

Watching the towers fall was the most awful thing I've ever seen.  Again, Dad and I were still on the phone, or back on the phone, when this happened.  Everyone watching KNEW those towers still had hundreds of people in them.  It was horrible.  I still cry every time I see that footage.  We all felt anger and quickly turned to our leaders...I am so grateful for Mayor Rudy Guiliani and President George Bush...exceptional leadership through such an incredibly dark time.

Not sure how we will observe this 10th year since the attacks.  I can't call it an anniversary because that would somehow mean a celebration, but in a way we will celebrate.  We will celebrate the fact that the terrorists did not defeat us and that they never will.  We will celebrate by living our lives as we should...free and without fear.  Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment