Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

rollergirls


I had been asked several times by my friend Suzanne to go to the Roller Derby, and never thought that sounded like a good idea. It made me think of biker chicks and tattoos. But I finally went and took Lily. Suzanne takes her teenager daughter and she is pretty normal, so I thought it wouldn't ruin Lily for too long.

It actually was pretty fun. Their were a lot of families, and mostly normal people. We got there early to get the free t-shirt. We then played games to win prizes and paid a $1 to get Lily a bruise on her eye. Lily was getting into it, but didn't really know what it was all about.

2 teams raced for 2, 20 minute bouts. Yes, bouts. Not as crazy as I expected. I thought there would be fighting and shoving. Once I was explained the rules and how it worked, it was fun to cheer on your team. At half time a band that you would find at a legion wedding, playing polkas. Cheesy, but fun! Everyone goes to the floor and dances. Lily went down with the teenagers and danced her heart out. Then 2 different teams raced for 2, 40 minute bouts.

The hardest part of it was how long it was, about 4 hours. I am not sure if we will go back. But, it was an experience we will not forget!

love, k

No comments:

Post a Comment