Pages

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Coolers

I have a favorite house on Nakoma Road en route to EHS...it's a pale yellow, kind of French/Italian style home with arched windows and shutters.  I love this house and sometimes daydream of moving into this beauty.  Yesterday I saw a cooler near the front door and it made me sad.

A cooler at the front door is not good.  It means someone has died or someone is very sick.  My thoughts immediately fill with memories of putting food into a cooler at the Mettner's home for a pregnant Michelle and two little girls after Joe died.  It was kid-friendly foods and cookies bars for Michelle and pasta dishes that the girls would eat, often with toddler books or some little toys.  We did this for about a year or so and I cried every time I got back into the car.

I also vividly remember putting meals into the Phelan's cooler after Ann died leaving John with three teenage girls and two little boys.  We did this for about a year or so and I cried every time I got back into the car.

We also had a cooler in front of the Wolff's house when Alex was so sick...so many people wanted to help.  Luckily, we only needed to do this for a month or so and I cried every time I got back into the car. I was so happy to see that cooler gone when Alex recovered! 

Seeing a cooler by house is never a good thing...it means something very sad has happened and the people inside don't really care about eating, but the love going into the cooler is a good thing.  It makes me want to put something good into the cooler on Nakoma Road.

Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment