Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

my review...

I enjoyed all three hours of Downton.  The first hour that highlighted the real life family, the Carnarvons that have lived at Highclere for generations, was wonderful!  It was very interesting...almost mimicking the storyline of Downton with the need for cash to keep the house in the family.  The present day family has improved their cashflow by allowing Downton to be filmed there and opening their castle to weddings, hunts, etc.  I thought that hour was full of information.  I loved the bit about carrying the dead pheasants by their heads "so they hold their heads high as they are carried off the land."  The traditions are clinging to present day by a thread.  The current butler expressed the need for these traditions or "they will be lost forever."  I couldn't agree more, but that is just me.

ON TO Downton...two hours that flew by like 30 minutes! 

Mary has lost weight and Matthew found it.
Shirley as Grandmama was hilarious.
Granny's best line was "excess means success."

Loved the ongoing battle below with O'Brien and the jerk Valet (can't think of his name).  Anna and Bate's relationship is all about finding a way to prove his innocence.  The sister and the Irish husband's relationship/storyline was predictable and kind of dumb.  Edith's story will get more interesting with her upcoming marriage to the old guy with money (guessing they will save Downton). 

All in all, a wonderful 120 minutes...60/week just won't be enough!  Chris poured me a glass of champagne and I was set!  It didn't disappoint and I can't wait for more!

xoxo, H.

No comments:

Post a Comment