Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

healthy 2014!

January is here and its time to think healthy....again! I got on the scale a couple of weeks ago, and it was heartbreaking. All of my weight I had lost, had been put right back on. It took about a year but now I have vowed to eat better, read more and exercise a lot. So far, I have been eating and drinking much better, reading a little bit (reading The Book Thief) and joined Snap Fitness (30 day trial, so far).

Today I went to Trader Joe's and bought a lot of healthy foods; quinoa, kale, pomegranate, tomatoes etc. I am making the salad below to keep me on track for lunch this week. We also have been eating clementines and lots of apples for snacks. When I get unhealthy, I go all out. I stop working out, stop drinking very much water and  eat whatever I want. I want Lily to be around healthy foods, and healthy people. She said she is excited to try the salad! Hit January head on....go for it! Spring will be here soon! love, k :)



Cranberry Orange Quinoa Salad

Cranberry Orange Quinoa Salad

A fresh twist on a classic combination of cranberry and orange. Perfect with your Thanksgiving turkey or weeknight roast chicken! Recipe by Laura Bashar of Family Spice

Ingredients:


Instructions:

  1. Rinse with water:
    • 1 cup quinoa
  2. Bring to boil:
    • 2 cup water
  3. When water is boiling, transfer rinsed quinoa and return to boil.
  4. Cover, reduce heat to low and continue to cook until the water is gone and quinoa is cooked, about 12-15 minutes.
  5. Wash, remove from stems and finely chop:
    • 2 large leaves of kale
  6. Pulse in a food processor to coarsely chop:
    • 2 cup cranberries, fresh
    • 2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 tsp honey
  7. When quinoa is done, transfer to a mixing bowl and mix with chopped kale. Allow to cool to room temperature.
  8. Stir in with the quinoa:
    • 2 TBS orange zest , grated
  9. Peel and coarsely chop:
    • 6 small oranges
  10. When quinoa is cooled completely, gently stir in the oranges and cranberry mixture.
  11. Stir in:
    • 1/4 cup mixed nuts
    • 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
    • 1/4 cup mint, fresh , chopped
  12. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Prep Time: 10 mins 
Cook Time: 15 min 
Inactive Time: 20 min cooling time
Difficulty: Easy 
Servings: 8 
Serving Size: 1/2 cup

No comments:

Post a Comment