Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

My wonderful Grandparents......

Grandparents are very special to most people.  When I think of grandparents, I think of fun and laughter.  I have a lot of great memories of all my grandparents.  This may take a box of kleenex to finish.  You are right, we had most of them for a really long time....

My Grandpa Milo died when I was in 8th grade. I have memories of him, but not as clear.  I remember him mostly when he was frail and not very healthy, after his stroke.  But he was a strong person, even when he was not feeling very well.  He would hold my hand and squeeze it so tight, I thought I would scream.  I think it was his way of showing people he was still here, and not to forget him.  I often think, wouldn't he be proud to see this, or wouldn't he have loved this...  His funeral is one of the first I can remember.  I really don't like going to funerals even now because of that day.  Horrible day,  very sad.  Loss is something you don't get over, it forms you, and makes you different.  I miss him.

My Grandma Bea was a wonderful person.  She taught me so many things.  She was like a "Martha".  She loved a nice table, and dinner.  Decorating on a budget was her life. They did not have a lot of money, but she made it seem like they had everything.  I have inherited her love of painting.  She must of bought a gallon of paint, and kept going until it was gone.  The walls would be blue, the chair, the lamp, the tray.....everything in sight.  But I know now, that painting is cheap, and it can brighten a room and make everything seem new again.  It really is a great trick! 
She was a classy lady, and beautiful.  She always looked like she was ready for a fun night out!  Makeup, hair and clothes just perfect.  She also loved to bake and teach Heidi and I how to be good in the kitchen.  She was definetly from a different era, of the wife stays home and cooks, but she also was strong and had her own opinion.  I still get a tear in my eye when I think about her not being with us anymore.

My Grandpa Claude was such a hard worker.  He would have worked until the day he died, but he wasn't able to drive anymore.  He was such a kind man.  He would do anything for anybody, and everyone said that at his funeral.  He was on the quiet side, but also loved to laugh and have fun!  His dancing always put a smile on my face.  Tapping his knee up and down, like from his favorite show Hee-Haw.  He loved his family and loved having them around.  He would have been happiest if at least one of his children lived next door. 
I can picture him at his grill making chicken out on the driveway.  Getting a kick out of watching the kids running around in the yard.  I will always have a special place in my heart for him.

My Grandma Veronica was a great lady.  She also grew up loving her family, and wanting them to stay "close".  She'd say, "Oh I wish you lived closer, so I could see you more."  She taught us to not be so serious in life.  Have fun, play cards with your family, everything is fine.  She also like my Grandma Bea, wanted us to know how to cook and bake.  She loved her sweets!
She was the one I thought would live for a long time, well into her late 90's.  Her passing surprised us.  She was such a stong person that we all thought she would be around for ever.  It has taught me that life is short.  Enjoy your family, and teach your kids how to be descent.  You only have one shot at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment