Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Oh my...

I just read Krista's post about our grandparents...suffice it to say, I needed kleenex. 

I will write about all of them, but right now I keep remembering one year ago, as we were watching Grandma Veronica leave us.  It will be one year ago that she passed away on November 21.  Our last grandparent. 

Krista and I were so lucky to have all of our grandparents for most of our childhood and adult lives...we were very, very blessed by this.  When I think of all of them, I think of unconditional love.  We knew how much they loved us...always.  That was and is an awesome way to grow up and live life.

From Grandma Veronica, I learned about flowers and gardening...she could grow the most beautiful flowers.  I also learned about baking and cooking...how I could show my love through that.  Sitting around the table - talking, playing cards, eating pie...just being together is what she believed was important.  We need more time around the table.  It's exactly why I bought a round table...it's so good for talking.

We're having my in laws here for Thanksgiving...I LOVE this holiday and I love hosting it...the turkey, the stuffing (going to try making stuffing muffins this year...see below...it's Rachel Ray's idea - I won't use her recipe because we have a recipe that has been handed down for YEARS, but I like the idea of "muffins"), the mashed potatoes, the little lemon cakes that Emma and I love to make for dessert.  The best part will be the conversation.

My all time best day ever was Thanksgiving 2001.  The whole family was here (including Grandma Bea, Grandpa Claude, Grandma Veronica, Papa and GranJan, the in laws, the uncles and aunts and Krista's family)...it was one of the happiest days in my memory.  I took a photo of my Grandpa Claude sitting on my sofa with a look of perfect contentment...I love that photo.  The kids played in the backyard, the turkey took forever to cook, there was gravy all over the kitchen, we practically had to eat in shifts...it was great! 

The best thing I did that day was start a Thanksgiving journal in which everyone wrote what they were grateful for...which was a lot that year since 9/11 had just happened.  We've kept up that journal every year and when I read it, what we're all most thankful for is family.  We're scattered now...some to Florida and some to heaven, and we're never all together anymore, but all is well.  I have so much to be thankful for...Heidi
Picture of Apple and Onion Stuffin' Muffins Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment