Pages

Saturday, November 15, 2014

the bling and a sad story...

I am kind of suprised at myself, but I am loving the bling for the cell phone, Sissy.  I think I need that because it just made me smile.  It's tempting to buy the kit because it's just so perfect AND it's probably going to adhere well.  So, Santa, make a note and add it to my list ;)!

Heard a sad story yesterday.  A boy from Peter's graduating h.s. class called his parents a week ago and said "I've officially withdrawn from school and I'm coming home."  This is a kid who was top of the class and was enrolled at Notre Dame.  He was definitely pushed and expected to do very well (just like his sister in Emma's class and his siblings under him) but he definitely came from a loving family.  When I think of the family, I think of VERY high strung, VERY competitive and VERY focused.  The Mom's full time job is to make sure her kids ARE THE BEST.  She definitely thinks she is mothering to the best of her ability. It made me really sad though because all I could think of how very sad and upset he must have been to make that decision.  I can't imagine the pressue he was under.

There is such a fine line in parenting.  Wanting "what is best" and letting them "find their way."  Emma is definitely finding her way, but I believe it's also what is best.  We're here to advise, but she is figuring it out.  As much as she thought about medical school her freshman year, she KNOWS now that is not the path she is on at the moment.  It might change but she pulled herself off of that fast, stressed, intense track last semester.  It was just too much for her with her commitment to her swimming.  I think it was a great decision.  I think her future is wide open and it's exciting to see where she'll head!

I've thought a lot about Evan this year while Peter is in his first year of college and Army ROTC.  Evan knew from the get go that he did not want to go through with ROTC even though he was pretty certain about it when he signed up.  From what you've told me, Evan is happy on his new path.  Evan in radio?!  It's actually just perfect!  Grandpa Milo is beaming.

We've weathered some highs and lows with this new Peter adventure/commitment.  There were a few times when I thought he could go either way.  Nothing is certain - even now- but I think he's happy with his commitment.  However, I think we've learned to never say never.  As I said to someone at a breakfast the other day, when they asked how the empty nest is, we're still parenting every day...talking, listening and praying.  Peter's path is wide open too and we're just here to hear about it and be there to provide love and support!

The boy who withdrew from Notre Dame is pretty brave in my opinion.  He could have stayed and failed.  Or had a nervous breakdown.  Or worse.  I'm definitely saying prayers for him.  xo, H.

No comments:

Post a Comment