Pages

Monday, November 17, 2014

the pressure

I have heard stories like that before regarding top students not being able to handle college, and come home. It is really sad, but there are many factors for sure. The pressure parents put on their kids is huge, but some pressure is good. I am sure those parents of Peters classmate thought they were doing the right thing.

I remember putting pressure on Evan when he was little. Flashcards etc. But I think if I wouldn't have done that he wouldn't have done as well in grade school, or High School. There is definitely a fine line. I didn't pressure him as much in High School, and I think he had trouble prioritizing and putting the effort in. He did well, but I know he was capable of even more.

It is best to let them figure things out. Emma will probably change her mind again, its ok. I think we as parents look at other factors. Get a job that makes money, and something that makes you happy. It's all about the money, really. Huge students loans, the cost of living etc. I hope they all find something they love, but you need to make money. I am proud of Peter for giving ROTC a chance. I think it is perfect for him, he loves all that stuff. If he decides its not, he will figure out something else. I hope Evan figures out what he wants, soon. It changes monthly right now!!

I feel sorry for those kids. The pressure is of moving away, going to college and everything is new is huge. It's almost like a nervous breakdown I bet. Knowing how disappointed the parents would be, would make it 100 times worse. That kid will regret it someday, we always do.

 xo.k

No comments:

Post a Comment